*Due to COVID-19 virus, selected 2020 submissions will be published on our new online journal: www.springboardjournal.com. We hope to publish a print book of selections later in the year. Due to this change, we will be accepting submissions year round.
Springboard Teen Literary Journal is looking for writers, grades 6-12, in Northwest Ohio (including Toledo, Maumee, Sylvania, Perrysburg, and Defiance) to submit:
Fiction – Please limit submissions to 3,000 words or less
Poetry – You may submit up to 3 poems
Nonfiction – Essays, memoir, creative nonfiction; please limit submissions to 3,000 words or less
We DO NOT accept Fanfiction, Book Reports, School Essays
Please read all of the following before submitting. Thank you.
Upon acceptance, Springboard acquires first North American serial publication rights, after which the copyright reverts to the author.
Simultaneous submissions are acceptable as long as you withdraw your submission from us immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere.
We do not currently accept work that has been previously published.
Your piece will be considered for publication based solely on the content of the work. These guidelines are put in place to give you the best chance of getting your writing accepted into our journal. Please follow them.
- We are accepting work from students, grades 6-12, in Northwest Ohio only. The journal is published in coordination with the Claire's Day Children's Book festival. This journal is meant to represent the population served by the Claire's Day program.
- Format your work so it is easily readable. All submissions need to be typed. Stories should be double-spaced, using 12-point font in a readable style such as Times New Roman, Garamond, or Cambria.
- Be sure your name, grade, school, and contact info are included in the file you are submitting.
- Please do not send us any schoolwork. As stated above, we do not accept book reports or school essays. We may accept creative writing assignments if they fit our guidelines. If you just wrote something for a grade or because you had to, please do not submit it.
- Send us your best, most polished work. Please do not send us rough drafts or unfinished work. Send us something you believe to be creative, original, and of good quality.
- Please be appropriate. While we grant our writers a lot of freedom to write what they want to write, we will not accept work with vulgar language, graphic or excessive violence, and themes that actively discriminate against gender, color, race, religion, sexual orientation, and disabilities.
- Please do not send work that has been previously published.
- Plagiarism will not be tolerated. Any submitted works deemed by the editors to be plagiarized, either in part or in full, will be rejected and reported to your school.
If you need further clarification regarding these guidelines, please contact us at email@example.com.
While we hope to be able to pay our contributors at some point in the future, at this time we do not offer writer compensation or royalties for our online journal.
You must sign up for a submittable account and be able to upload a file (.doc, .docx, or .pdf) for submission. If you are unable to upload your file, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.